Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rescuing my son: Testing for food allergy/Sensitivity

Taking Tommy to the Sensory Processing Specialized Center  has played an important role in rescuing my son. The therapists in this place are so passionate about helping kids to overcome their challenges. Miss C., the Occupational Therapist that was assigned to Tommy, was the one who suggested a food allergy test because Tommy was having some type of food allergy. She was very encouraging that we should take Tommy for the test because Tommy had a rash around his mouth and wasn't getting better  —I tried what our pediatrician recommended, but it didn't work. Miss C. told me that she has seen a very similar rash before and it has been due to food allergies. I was looking for an aswer to what happened to Tommy while he was hospitalized. The only allergy test we didn't have was a food allergy, so one more test wouldn't hurt.


We schedule an appoitmnet with the *nutritionist, at the Chiropractic Center, Miss C. recommended to us. We had he appointment on December 2011. During the appointment, I explained everything I was concerned; and for the first time, I felt someone understood me. All the changes on my son had a reason and was not just 'because' it is the way he is due to his genetic disorder, as I was told by a **Doctor. The nutritionist, who is also a chiropractor, checked Tommy's skin. She noticed some eczema on his body, beside rash aound his mouth. She also find little bumps around his elbows, which are signs of possible toxin in his body. She made questions about Tommy's diet and his overall health. After our conversation, she suggested an individualized nutritional intervention, as an action plan, based on my son's nutritional needs and suggested further testing.


Action Plan
  1. Supplement. Because of my son genetic disorder and Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) supplementation has been recommended and added to his daily diet. Vitamin Suplement designed for the nutritional needs for people with Trisomy 21 (T21).  Increasing the inteak of fish oil by supplement and eating fish once a week, as well as, DMG and Vitamin B12, which are recomemnded for kids with sensory behaviors. Vitamin D3 and EGCG are also supplements added to my son's diet. If your child is already taking supplements, bring a list of the supplements and the dosage to the first appointment with your nutritionist. I have found easier for me to do the supplementation with the guidance of the nutritionist. 
  2. Blood work. The first blood test recommended by our Nutritionist was E95 Basic food Panel. This test for food allergy or sensitivity to food (always ask for a copy of the test results to keep in your records). It may not be easy to find a healthcare provider that knows about the food sensivitity test. In our case, we worked directly with the nutritionist and sent a copy of the test results to our pediatrician. The lab did the test was 
    Meridian Valley Lab (425-271-8689) and according to their website:
    "Diagnosis of Food Allergy Obviously immediate food reaction can be identified easily. However, delayed food reactions are much more difficult to diagnose. According to recent research, IgE antibodies cause immediate food reactions. Delayed food reactions are often associated with IgG4, a subclass of the whole IgG molecule. At Meridian Valley Laboratory, our food allergy test uses a combination IgE and IgG4 protocol. The test can detect both IgE and/or IgG4 allergic reactions. Thus both immediate and delayed food reactions can be detected...
    The E-95 panel contains 95 foods in a wide variety of categories, including milk, cheese, egg, fish, seafood, grains, fruits and vegetables. The A-95 panel contains 95 additional fruits, nuts, vegetables and spices. 2 ml serum is required for these panels. It can be sent via regular first class mail using our prepaid mailer. Specimen collection kits are available."
    If you suspect your child has food allergy or sensitivity causing sensory issues, you should ask your pediatrician if the E95 Basic Food Panel can be done at their office (or their lab), so you can order the test kit and be sent to their office. The pediatrician then processes it and overnights it back to Meridian Valley laboratory.
  3. Test Results.  In my son's case, the results of the E95 Basic Food Panel came back POSITIVE for food sensitivity. Tommy has high sensitivity to beef, milk, dairy products, and peanut. He has to completely avoid these foods. He also has food sensitivity to whole egg, lamb, gliadin, gluten, rye, wheat, red shapper, almond and soybeans. While doing my search, I found out that there are kids with an even higher number of food sensitivity; therefore, a food test panel is highly recommended as a start point to decrease the sensory symptoms or behaviors on a child.
  4. Elimination of Food. The food the child shows allergy or sensitivity has to be eliminated from his or her diet. In our son's case, it has been eliminated becasue the food sensititivity is an indication his gut it is inflamed and worsen of his sensory issues, which means is not breaking down the nutrients as it should be. So he is in the GFCF diet and the feingold diet recommended for kids with sensory issues. It may take weeks for the family to get adjusted to the child's new diet, but it is worthed.
Food sensitivity has not been rule out as a cause of our son's sensory issues worsen. So nutritional intervention has been recommended to decreasing sensory issues or behaviors.

I believe that groceries store owners have realized that the nurmbers of kids and adults having alergy or food sensitivity are dramaticly increasing; so you may check in your local grocery stores first, if they have an organic alie where you can get some of the food you need for you child's diet.  In our son case, we found out that our local stores had an organic alie, so we can get some of the food he can eat when we run out of groceries for him. We highly recommend Wholefood Market because they have a large variety of organic and healthy food for people with sensitivity or allergy to food. The best of all, they have stores located nationwide, which make things easier when you are planning a family vacation. 
    Next Step
    Now, there are BIG questions: What did cause all the food sensitivity ? Why food allergies or sensitivity are linked to sensory issues? and What did cause his muscle weakness? To find answers I went back to Tommy's medical records. I find the answer, the root of what caused all this chaos in my son's development.  It is becoming a health issues of our modern age; therefore, as my son's advocate, I have to talk about it. Please keep visiting my blog to know the answer.


    ------------
    *Resource for Parents:
    Finding a nutritionist may not be easy, specially, if you are looking for one that specialiased in kids with sensory issues or other diagnosis. In my search, I found Kelly Dorfman, a detective nutritionist who specialiazed in kids with developmental delays. She does appointment via phone, so not matter where you life, she may make an appointment. I am planning to work with her in the future due to she has experience in nutrition for kids with hypotonia (low muscle tone). Due to son's muscle weakness getting worse after the hospitalization, I am concern this may happen again. Her contact information is:

    Kelly Dorfman, M.S., L.N.D.
    10828 Tuckahoe Way, North Potomac, MD 20878
    Website: KellyDorfman.com 
    Email: Kelly@KellyDorfman.com
    Phone (Office) 301-340-2239

    Other websites, I have found helpful are: www.gfcfdiet.com and www.feingold.org I have to highlight: these diets are not specific for people with autism. The nutritional intervention research has been done for kids with T21, but parents of kids with Autism has incorporated these nutritional interventions as a way to treat their kids, having great progress on healing their kids. Any person with sensory issues benefit from these diets. Many families with kids in an entire range of developmental disorders and learning disabilities has reported benefits or progress after the nutritional intervention.


    I will also recommended the book "Down syndrome and Vitamin Therapy"book. You you can ask for a complementary copy or download a PDF version at nutrichem.com


    **A few words to Parents:
    BE STRONG! BELIEVE IN YOUR CHILD'S POTENTIAL REGARDLESS HIS OR HER DIAGNOSIS. There is no one better than you who knows your child. If your mother or father's instincts are telling you that something is not right with your child, FIND ANSWERS! This will let you free of worries and you will find the right treatment for your child.


    When I noticed something wasn't right with Tommy, I began to talk to many people as I could. People were supportive and comforted me by saying: "It will time more time for him to recover" or "it is something to expect," one doctor tried to make me see "reality" according to his narrow spectrum, but one person linked me to the answer I was looking for. Nothing could take away the strong feeling in my heart, something wasn't right with Tommy.  I have test results and I can firmly say: I WAS RIGHT! SOMETHING WASN'T RIGHT WITH MY SON! 

    2 comments:

    Yvette said...

    i just found out my 3 1/2 year old with DS has celiac disease.
    her score was very low on the scale but nevertheless she has it and she is also dairy intolerant. So i started GF and DF diet. But...I notice that I buy her little cracker or cookie snacks that are GF and DF but she still gets diarrhea. So I think she is allergic to processed food. Because when I cook her homade food she does not get sick with the runs. I was told by a mom with autistic child that some GF kids have a problem with their guts breaking down fats and they need to be given a special enzyme. so we will see......Good luck!

    Rosa said...

    Hi Yvette, thanks for leaving a comment. I think what the mom is telling you it may be something you may look into. Gut problems are also seeing in kids with T21. I my son case, it was cause for the medications giving while he was hospitalized. I will right about it as soon as I have the time.